First Prize - $500
Second Prize - $300 Third Prize - $200
Entries judged by an independent panel of three professional writers.
ONLINE SUBMISSIONS ONLY!
Winners will be announced and the First-Prize winning story will be read and discussed at the Day of New Works celebration on May 3, 2014.
Must be a Member to participate.
*If you are a non-member and would like to enter the contest, please fill out an online Membership Application to qualify for entry.
Membership fee must be received prior to contest deadline.
ENTRY RULESContest is a benefit of membership. Only current members may submit. Click here to become a member.
(If you fail to comply with the rules you will be disqualified. Disqualified applicants and non-winners are not reimbursed application fees.)
- After becoming a member, your password will be sent to the email you supplied. Please make a note of it.
- All members must login to enable registration and complete the short story online application.
- Entry Fee: $25.00 first story entry ; $20.00 per additional story entry.
- Each submission must be accompanied by a contest entry form.
- Deadline for submissions is March 3, 2014.
- Online Submission Only! Submit story/stories as Word document(s). Any other file format will be disqualified.
- Format: double-spaced, 12 point, Times Roman or Times New Roman font.
- Word Count: 3,500 word maximum including title.
Must appear on each page:
- title of story
- page number
- word count of manuscript
- MUST NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript: Author’s name
- Short Story manuscript submissions must be an original, unpublished (print or electronic), un-posted, non-previous prize winner, work of fiction.
- Entry fee payments via PayPal or Guest of PayPal must be paid at time of Registration/Application. Check payments will be accepted. Mail to PO Box 947, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270-0947. Checks must be received prior to competition deadline.
- Email your story or stories as a word doc attachment to Short Story Chairperson Kathy Bjork at firstname.lastname@example.org
- At contest conclusion, manuscripts will be deleted. Critique of your work will not be provided.
- Contestants give permission to distribute printed copies of the entry at the Day of New Works if the entry is awarded one of the top 3 prizes.
To register, click here: Annual Short Story Contest
Judging: Judges will evaluate the stories on a scale of 1 (very poor) to 5 (very good) in six categories: character, plot, setting, narrative voice, dialogue, mechanics. Each judge then adds the points from the categories together for total points for that story. A perfect score from a judge is 30 points. The three judges’ scores are added together to give the story a grand point total and the stories are then ranked by total points received.