At our June 4th general meeting, Darrell James topic was "How to Get Published." Darrell received an enthusiastic response from the membership. You can read a copy of my notes by clicking here. Check out the Photo Galleries page for photos of this event.
The PSWG is proud to recognize the following members who have volunteered their time and stepped up to help lead:
She has done and continues to do so much for the Palm Springs Writers Guild. Marge is always willing to join special committees and add her wealth of knowledge about non-profit organizations. For the past 2 years he has been our Treasurer, Co-Chaired the Grammar Game, Co-Chaired the Day of New Works and has been diligently working to secure 501c3 status for the Guild and she's agreed to continue next season! Thank you Marge.
Have you enjoyed our new photo galleries on the website? Member Cheryl McFadden has been our local expert photographer for 3 years, capturing all our special moments, sending photos of our speakers to the Desert Sun and has become somewhat of a webmaster handling all the gallery pages on the website. Next season Cheryl has volunteered to handle refreshments for general meetings. Thank you Cheryl for your contribution to the Guild.
Have you read about the Palm Springs Writers Guild in the Desert Sun, heard about it on the radio, or seen a press release? For the past 2 years John has done the impossible – promoted the Guild with no budget. His special relationships with the media often secure free advertising for us. John is also quick to join a committee when needed and played a big part in making the Desert Writers Expo a success. John is an excellent copywriter, editor and public relations expert. Give him a call and see how he can help you with writing and promoting your book. Thank you John for your service to the Guild.
Dick has served 2 years as the Corresponding Secretary and the Monthly Writing Contest Committee Chair. Dick is leaving his leadership postions with the Guild this year. Dick has entertained us each month by reading the winning entries. The reason his delivery is so good is he works as voice talent. So if you're considering an audio version of your book, give Dick a call. Thank you Dick for your contributions to the Guild.
I want to thank each and every one of the members for the opportunity to be of service this year as your President. Through the selfless efforts of your Board of Directors, Committee Chairs and Members at Large, this past season the Palm Springs Writers Guild:
- Dramatically increased contributions to the Scholarship Fund
- Orchestrated the Desert Writers Expo
- Successfully arranged 7 speaker meetings
- Provided 4 educational workshops
- Developed a new logo for the Grammar Game
- Developed a new PSWG brochure
- Developed Desert Writers Expo logo, flyers, poster
- Developed Fund-Raiser marketing materials and promotion
- Arranged the Grammar Game Event
- Celebrated member works at The Day of New Works
- Provided 13 weekly Critique Groups
- Offered 8 Monthly Writing Challenge Contests
- Kept everyone informed of outside events
- Promoted member author books on the website
- Developed and extensive photo gallery on the website
- Entertained with Tony O'Doherty's witty cartoons
- Provided timely communications
- Coordinated membership
- Developed Membership Survey
- Created a new Interactive Member Website within budget
- Held successful Scholarship Fundraiser Workshop
- Strengthened our partnership with the Rancho Mirage Library
- Strengthened our partnership with UCR
- Maintained a balanced budget
- Nearly completed 501c3 designation (may actually be finalized prior to next season)
The results of our June 4, 2011 Board of Directors election are posted on the Contact Us page of the website. Please welcome and congratulate these members on their willingness to serve the Guild! You have elected a stellar Board of Directors under the guidance of President Jim McFarlin. I look forward to witnessing their accomplishments next season.
As writers we have the unique opportunity to change the world. Through our writing we can teach tolerance and a positive attitude. I recently learned of Apple Computer Corporation's Corporate Philosophy. Apple encourages it's employees in all communications whether it is with fellow employees, vendors, friends or family to always assume positive intent. Imagine how our world could change if we always assume the person we are listening to has the best of intentions.
Our next general meeting is on October 1, 2011. I look forward to seeing you there.
Mark E. Anderson
After logging into this site, be sure to edit your member profile and let others know about you and your writing by clicking here.
Looking for an Editor, Book Shepherd, Marketing, Publicity, Voice Actor, Computer Tutor, Proofreader? Go to the Professional Service Provider page by clicking here.
Expand your learning by joining a Critique Group by clicking here. Free to all PSWG Members.
Get involved in the Monthly Writing Challenge - click here. Free to all PSWG Members.